Oct 2nd: I am really close to getting my new shop set up. I didn't get much done over the summer as we had a lot of guests, and I preferred spending my time boating and playing golf rather than locked in the shop. With all the rain and cool weather over the past two weeks, I have made great progress. Another week or two, and the shop will be ready for my fall/winter builds. I'll post a picture or two here once I am done.


Dec 1st: Milled the building mold for the Huron on the CNC this evening. Finished mold turned out well. Also, cut a bending mold and caul and have the bender setup to go. Always a lot of work to get molds and fixtures built for a new guitar model. Will be nice to have the Huron as part of my model lineup.


Nov 14: Spent some time today gluing up MDF for building molds for my new Huron model. I'll give the glue a day or two to cure, then I will mill the molds on my CNC machine.


May 23: Finished up my designs for the Huron and cut out top and side templates on the CNC. I still need to cut out bending and build molds.


Dec 14: I have been changing my building process. After building quite a few guitars with a flexible mold, I decided to switch to solid molds. I drew up some new molds in Rhino3D for my Michigan and Superior shapes and milled them on the CNC machine.


Nov 1: Had a visit today from Beth and her dog, Kira. Beth and I have been trading emails for the past few weeks regarding a possible custom build. She was passing through Michigan on business and dropped in to play a few guitars and look at some wood. Beth is very excited about a custom build and signed up for my next open spot. We picked out some woods, but with a year or more to wait, Beth will have plenty of time to make sure she is happy with her picks.



Feb 10: I am behind my usual pace for winter as I got off to a late start, and I have had a lot of travel. My first build is a Madagascar Rosewood Michigan for Nobu. This guitar will have a venetian cutaway and red spruce top. Nobu lives locally and had come by over the summer to hand pick the wood for the back and sides as well as the red spruce for the top. Below is the build log for Nobu's guitar along with a link to a photo gallery showing the guitar in progress. The second build is a black walnut Huron for Rob. This guitar will also have a red spruce top. Below is the build log for Rob's guitar along with photos.

Nobu's Michigan of Madagascar RW w/Red Spruce Top (build photos):

Jan 20: Over the past week I voiced the soundboard, using a very nice handmade Japanese chisel to remove wood from the braces until the top was responding the way I wanted. I then cleaned it up with several grits of sandpaper to get it ready to glue on to the rims. I then carved the mahogany back braces and cleaned up the back. Today, I fit the top and back to the rims. I let the ends through the rims of the X and upper transverse brace as well as each back braces. I first glued the back to the rims then followed with the front. Prior to routing the binding channels, I need to give the rims a good level sanding, so that is on the agenda for this week.

Jan 13: This morning I heated up the hide glue and glued the mahogany braces to the back. Time now to carve both the top and back braces.

Jan 8: Shop time over the past few weeks has been scarce as we have had family in town for the holidays. But this past weekend I got back to playing Luthier and got the top braced of Nobu's guitar. I had a few last braces to get on this evening, which I did. I'll probably brace the back prior to carving the bracing and voicing the top.

Dec 26: Leveled the rosette and final thicknessed the top. Both the top and back are now ready to be braced.

Dec 23: The linings are now in and have been sanded to accept the top and back. Today, I made some yellow heart and black veneer purflings and inlaid the rosette.

Dec 16: This week I made blocks for the neck and tail. Prior to gluing them in, I gave the inside of the rims a nice sanding. Once the blocks were in, I soaked the linings for the top in water then clamped them to the rims to dry. It can be hard to make those tight bends in the cutaway without soaking the linings first. Once the bindings I had dried, I glued them to the rims.

Dec 9: The last few days I final thicknessed the top and gave it nice sanding. It is now ready for bracing. I also ran the rims through the thickness sander and cut the profile prior to bending. I then bent each rim. As we are doing a cutaway, I needed to bend the lower rim for the florentine cutaway. The wood needs a couple of fairly tight bends to get the rim in the proper shape. I'm always relieved when the bends are done without any tell tale cracking sounds.

Yesterday, I fired up the CNC and cut some mahogany braces for the back and some red spruce braces for the top. Though the CNC is used to cut the bracing, all braces are final shaped by hand.

Dec 5: This week I started Nobu's build. I cleaned up the edges to join and glued up the panels yesterday. This evening, I ran the top through the thickness sander to clean it up so I can inlay the rosette. This evening I ran the back plates through the thickness sander to get them to an even consisent thickness prior to gluing up. I then cleaned up the glue edges and pulled a strip of tulipwood to use for an inlay up the center of the back. I then glued up the back plates and inlay strip.

The Madagascar rosewood is very pretty and I'll get some better pictures up once I run the back through the thickness sander.


Rob's Huron of Black Walnut w/Red Spruce Top (build photos):

Feb 10: Finally got underway on Rob's guitar. I glued up the plates for the back and top last night. This morning, I ran the top through the thickness sander to clean it up prior to inlaying the rosette. I thicknessed the back, gave it a good sanding with the ROS, then cut the profile. It is ready for braces.